Chicago, IL The Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) seeks an engaged and experienced human resource and organizational development professional to manage all organizational development, employee relations, employee engagement, and human resource functions for the organization. The position, which is new for the organization, will report directly to the CEO/Executive Director and be critical in building a strong culture, supportive work environment, and focus on employee development.
Summary Position Description:
- Guide and manage the overall human resource services, policies, and programs for GFOA
- Provide guidance and leadership to the organization on human resource policies, compliance, and best practices in human resource management
- Lead and manage recruiting and onboarding efforts for new employees
- Provide support for employee relations
- Administer employee benefits programs
- Design and coordinate professional development program for GFOA staff
- Coordinate internal supervisor and peer review process
- Promote a professional and positive work environment while working with staff to develop strategies to improve employee satisfaction
- Develop and help implement strategies to improve teamwork, workplace culture, and overall communications
- Assist GFOA’s Executive Director and Center Directors in managing teams and improve cross-team collaboration
- Provide and/or facilitate training for GFOA staff on various topics
- Chair GFOA’s employee wellness and workplace satisfaction committee
Founded in 1906, GFOA's mission is to promote excellence in state and local government financial management. Currently, the organization has more than 19,100 members representing over 8,200 government organizations including cities, counties, school districts and other special districts, retirement systems, states and state agencies, and the federal government. Members look to GFOA as a leader in providing guidance on best practices, technical resources, publications, and professional development and networking opportunities, and as an advocate within the public finance profession.
GFOA currently employs approximately 55 employees in its Chicago, Illinois, office, and three employees in its Washington, D.C. office. The organization is governed by an 18 member executive board elected by GFOA’s membership. The executive board appoints an executive director/CEO to manage the association.
Minimum Candidate Qualifications:
- Candidates must be able to effectively communicate with GFOA Directors, staff, and members on important human resource issues
- Knowledge and experience with risk management strategies for human resources
- Knowledge of federal and state legislation affecting various facets of human resource functions
- Candidates must have demonstrated success in organizational leadership and management in a business, government, non-profit, educational, or other non-profit association environment
- Ability to manage and organize documentation including position descriptions, employee handbook, and various administrative policies
- Candidates must be approachable, collaborative managers with the ability to lead and develop GFOA staff at all phases of their careers
- Candidates must possess strong networking and outreach skills to help build relationships with GFOA staff, GFOA members, and outside organizations.
- Maintain confidentiality of issues and serve as trusted resource for GFOA staff
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Participation in GFOA 403(b)
- The successful candidate will be expected to live in the Chicago metropolitan area Relocation assistance is available
Candidates who are interested in applying for the position should submit their resume and cover letter, along with contact information for five work-related references, by January 31, 2018. Apply electronically to: http://www.govhrusa.com/current-positions/recruitment.
For more information, or for questions about the position, please contact:
Heidi Voorhees, President
630 Dundee Road, Suite 130
Northbrook, IL 60062